Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ongoing Work on Wood

I have an ongoing series of work connected to a series of portrait photos based on an imaginary paleolithic tribal culture.

This first one is 65" H x 48" W on birch plywood, with a sheet of plexi overlapping the face. The face markings were painted transparently in acrylic on the plexi. It is wired to the top and bottom of the framing to rest 1/2 inch off the face, so as to create a barrier and to cast shadows.
This is photo transfer on gesso, embedded feathers, with blackboard paint and white charcoal for the writing. It's about 2' x 4'. I use inkjet prints to transfer, not photocopies. They transfer well when printed on photo quality inkjet paper, and my archival ink in my printer is superior to photocopy ink. A final coat of matte varnish keeps the "paper" quality of the surface.

I'm working on a huge series of fractured imagery on wood cubes of various sized, and tiled paper or wood.
This one below is rather small-charcoal on squares of plywood with a very heavy coating of gloss acrylic medium. They are glued on plexi rods, and mount right on the wall. I drilled holes in the back top of the rods, and they are inserted into white panel nails. This piece, along with the one below, will be in "Face It", a national portrait exhibit at the University of Tennessee Downtown Gallery on Gay Street in Knoxville from July 15 -Aug. 8. There will be a First Friday Aug. closing reception that night.


This other piece in the "Face It" exhibit, ironically, are life size charcoal on plywood drawings of the exhibit director, Benjamin McKamey (right), and his business partner from the now migratory Three Flights Up Gallery, T. Michael Martin. They had teased me during a reception earlier in the year about how I had never have done a cut-out drawing of them, so I ran off a bunch of shots of them there, and when I found out about "Face It", got the project finished and immediately submitted. Luckily, the outside juror, Carl Gombert, put it in.











1 comment:

  1. This idea is a terrific one. I have been in these same houses and wish I had tought of doing a project like this myself.

    The photographs Denise shows here are haunting and profound, as I am sure the upcoming show will be.

    Denise, you are one talented broad....

    ReplyDelete